The USCSS Prometheus was an FTL (faster than light)-capable Space Exploration Vehicle (SEV) developed for the Project Prometheus and the flagship of Weyland Corp's fleet.
About Project PrometheusEdit
Conceived and planned by Peter Weyland himself, Project Prometheus is Weyland Corp's most significant initiative yet. Sir Weyland named the mission in honor of the great titan who first gave mankind fire; now, he returns the favor by giving his own gift of fire to the masses, one that will guide the company and its investors to the ultimate truth via the USCSS Prometheus.
The mission of Project Prometheus is to seek out the actual origin of mankind, wherever it may be. Weyland Industries believes this voyage will yield extraordinary dividends for its investors; financially and spiritually. This mission is incredible in scope: not only do we endeavor to bring vital knowledge back to investors, but it will mark the furthest a human has ever ventured into our universe. Because of the high level of risk involved, Weyland has searched far and wide to find the most skilled, dedicated and exceptional professionals to contribute their expertise to the mission.
In 2089, archaeologists Elizabeth Shaw and Charlie Holloway discover a star map among several unconnected ancient cultures in the Isle of Skye. They interpret this as an invitation from humanity’s forerunners, or "Engineers". After Shaw contacted Sir Peter Weyland, he funds the creation of the scientific vessel Prometheus to follow the map to the distant moon LV-223. The ship's crew travels in stasis while the android David monitors their voyage and studies linguistics such as Schleicher's fable. Arriving in 2093, they are informed of their mission to find the Engineers. Mission director Meredith Vickers orders them to avoid making contact without her permission. The Prometheus lands near a large artificial structure, which a team explores.
The vessel is destroyed when Shaw convinces Captain Janek to stop the Engineer's spaceship from reaching Earth. Janek, Ravel and Chance successfully crashes Prometheus into the Engineer's spaceship, sacrificing themselves in the process. The Engineer's disabled spaceship crashes onto the planet, saving the Earth.
The Prometheus was powered by four VTOL nuclear ion plasma engines capable of thrust hybrid vectoring in atmospheric and interstellar conditions. Individual cranes in the engine's outer shell lifted the heavy, caution-colored landing legs back into the engine. The ship carried over twenty vehicles in tow along with various energy-based shotguns and pistols used by guards. The main control room housed a primary holo-table which received the signals fed by the three-dimensional holographic scanning spectagraphs, which mapped out the Engineer spaceship. It also carried many hypersleep chambers.
- Janek - Captain
- Meredith Vickers - Mission director
- David - Mission attendant
- Elizabeth Shaw - Lead scientist
- Charlie Holloway - Lead scientist
- Millburn - Biologist
- Fifield - Geologist
- Ford - Medic
- Chance - 1st assistant pilot
- Ravel - 2nd assistant pilot
- Jackson - Mercenary
- Vladimir - Mercenary
- Taplow - Mercenary
- Sheppard - Mercenary
- Wallace - Mechanic
- Barnes - Mechanic
- 1 unnamed mechanic - Mechanic
- Peter Weyland - Mission sponsor
- 2 security androids - do not count as part of crew
Below is the ship's full list of included equipment:
- RT-01 exploration rover : The RT Series Group Transport's shape-memory alloy wheel system has nano-reinforced hard-composite treads that resist temps up to 2000°F. Its ceramic gas turbine engine has .4 million pounds of thrust making its cargo weight virtually unlimited. With an 5.7 meter wheelbase, the personnel bay fits up to 20 occupants.
- ATV NR-6: Two-person transport vehicle with 4-tread, track-belted wheels able to negotiate near-vertical terrain carrying small payload. With the NR6, Weyland planetary engineers are able to survey previously inaccessible areas of newly discovered proto-colonies. Vehicles reach top speeds of 88 mph in standard atmospheric pressure and gravitational pull. Variable-friction axes for front and rear wheels provide micro-torque gear adjustments for maximum safety and mobility across any foreign surface.
- Hypersleep chamber : A holographic display communicates with ship's mainframe to monitor metabolic conditions to suspend cell function. The Hypersleep Chambers can be programmed to initiate, maintain and terminate hypersleep stasis of human crew depending on length of mission and percent FTL travel. Zero-loss lithium-ion batteries in a tertiary backup system support the chamber’s function for up to 100 years in case of emergency. Hypersleep maintenience overseers can start dream-reading via establishing a neuro link through a Neuro Visor.
- Lifeboat : Vickers' suite was revealed to be a lifeboat when it ejected from the Prometheus and crash landed immediately. It was later seen again when Shaw confronted the Engineer.
- Escape pod: The Prometheus apparently contains eight and they are automatically launched.
- MedPod 720i : The Medpod can diagnose, treat and perform a range of surgical procedures with ultra-fine laser incisions guided by 3D anatomical scanning. David locked one aboard the Prometheus to respond to a male voice, but Shaw was able to bypass the system and have a caesarian section to remove her offspring.
Intergalactic comm antennas: The ship had many installed all around the front.
- Advanced SE Suit: Used in exploration, reconnaissance and for tactical maneuverability in the field. Nano-reinforced composite helmet allows a 320° rotational field of vision with info display of vital stats, environmental conditions, communications systems and data analysis. Cadmium exoskeleton provides safety and stability over rough terrain. Iridium-coated, laser resistant light armor optional.
- Weyland named the mission and the space ship in honor of the great Titan Prometheus who first gave mankind fire, stolen from the Gods. This was the reference to learning forbidden information.
- According to some preliminary images, the ship bore the name of USCSS Magellan.